Wednesday, May 27, 2009

If You Didn't Believe


Probably you have read something about aquaponics or hydroponics and thought that it was too good to be true. Well, getting as much as ten times the produce that you can get from soil with traditional agriculture sounds a little hard to believe. This is true, but depends on what you have.

In “watery” plants, like tomatoes, melons and things like that, you can get impressive results. With some others like lettuce and spinach, you can get a double yield. In any case, you will have a greater produce with aquaponics than the one you can get with soil culture. Hydroponics can give you something like that but fish are more fun.

Anyway, today I want to show you two pictures. Both are melons and both were sowed the same day. As you can plainly see, there is a great difference between the two. Of course I’m not neglecting the soil one; I water them daily and get weeds away (another advantage of aquaponics; no weeds to deal with). The garden is fertilized with vermicompost (humus made by worms) and I think I take good care of it. The idea is to get organic produce in the comfort of my own home.


No matter how good is your soil, aquaponic plants will normally do better. I can’t guarantee you anything, but you can expect to, at least, double your results. The best part is that they will be organic results. Unless you are feeding something rare to your fish, all the process is a natural one.

If you take the proper measures in your aquaponic installation, you can even have it certified as an organic facility. I haven’t gone that far… after all, it is a DIY system; however, I do get more than I need, although is not enough to sell… I don’t have too much space here.

Anyway, as you can see, aquaponics can give you fish, double (at least) the produce and everything will be organic. You can take care of your health and get very good prices in the market.

Give it a try. Aquaponics is not rocket science and if you were willing to take care of a garden, an aquaponic system will take all the hard work out. I'm a DIY kind of guy, but you can just buy a commercial system; there are a lot of them out there. Make up your mind, start eating healthy and give a little help to your planet!

No comments:

Photobucket