Friday, April 24, 2009

It's Really That Easy?

Well, it is and it is not. Obviously, if you try something you have never done, you will have a little trouble, but not something to die for. Of course, death is a little involved if you are not careful with your fish, but if you can follow simple instructions and take the time to get the basics, everyone will be alright.

I mean, aquaponics is simply a little ecosystem contained in your backyard. If you understand what is involved, then it will be like having a garden. There’s a little of work involved, but with practice, everything gets easier.

When I started this aquaponic thing, I really was not very scared… after all, I found out about this with an aquaponic system that consisted in a plastic bucket and a couple of PVC tubes, so, how hard could it be?

A few weeks later I had my first aquaponic system with some fish, a couple of plants and clean water. Of course I had to do my homework, but it took only a couple of hours reading material. My tomatoes were not exactly a charm… I had hydroponic tomatoes that did much better, even when I was a newbie. So, why so much buzz about aquaponics? The thing is that maybe you can be a little disappointed with your first results, but that is to be expected. Aquaponics takes a little time to get everything going.

Don get me wrong, I love aquaponics. I think is the best thing I have learned since I discovered reading. I’m not trying to scare you; I just want to motivate you to get things right from the beginning.

If you are considering aquaponics as your new hobby, great news: there is a lot more information available now than when I started, several years ago. Buying a ready to go system can make things a little easier, but I have always been a DIY kind of guy. Besides, making your own system can teach you much more about aquaponics in a couple of weeks than several months of investigation.

You have to consider that many studies are considered gospel, even if they only apply on a certain region and time of year. I’m not saying that studies are wrong, it’s just that there are unique circumstances in your aquaponic installation that can make that study completely irrelevant, at least for you.

Anyway, if you want to do aquaponics, go ahead. Start as soon as possible. Take a couple of hour to read how to do it and then get busy. Having fish is much more fun than plants and, eventually, you can get tasty meat with almost no fat and a los of other cool properties.

By the way, everything will be as natural as you can get for a fair price; and, you will learn a lot of things. Aquaponics is not as easy as hydroponics, but it isn’t that hard. Besides, if you are still reading this, it means that you have what it gets, at least to get started.

No comments:

Photobucket